Dates: November 2–20, 2020
This course focuses on basic techniques of building, interpreting, and analyzing financial models using MS Excel®. The development and analysis of financial models are essential to PPP/Project Finance transactions, necessary to evaluate project economics, for negotiations among stakeholders, and a key component of the final documentation.
While the development and analysis of project finance models are often delegated to external financial advisors, it is important for certain selected officials involved in a transaction to understand how financial models work and the capability to manipulate the model.
The goal of the course is to provide participants with the tools to build a financial model and effectively closely manage third party financial advisors and to provide a knowledge basis for the advanced financial modeling course geared towards officials responsible for developing financial models that form the basis for financing.
By successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and scope of project financial models (i.e. what a financial model is and why project stakeholders need it)
- Identify the financial model’s key outputs and calculate them
- Construct a semi-flexible financial model inclusive of key model building blocks
- Design a funding sheet with debt financing
- Construct pro-forma financial statements
- Describe how financial model building blocks are linked to each other
- Manage assumptions in a financial model to effect results
- Design, set-up, and effectively label spreadsheet models for project financings