Dates: September 14–25, 2020
Location: Washington, DC
In this course titled Building and Analyzing Financial Models II, the Institute for Public-Private Partnerships, A Tetra Tech Company (IP3) focuses exclusively on the basic techniques of building, interpreting, and analyzing a financial model using MS Excel®.
The development and analysis of financial models are an essential component of a PPP/Project Finance transaction. Financial models are necessary to evaluate the economics of a project, for negotiations among stakeholders and are a key component of the final documentation.
While the development and analysis of project fi nance models are often delegated to external financial advisors, it is important for certain selected officials involved in a transaction not only to have an understanding of how financial models work, but also to have the capability to manipulate the model.
The goal of the course is twofold. The first goal is to provide participants with the tools to build a fi nancial model and eff ectively closely manage third party fi nancial advisors. The second goal is to provide a knowledge basis for the advanced fi nancial modeling course, which is geared towards off icials that will be responsible for developing fi nancial models that will form the basis for a fi nancing.
By successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and scope of project financial models (i.e. what a financial model is and why project stakeholders need it)
- Identify the financial model’s key outputs and calculate them
- Construct a semi-fl exible financial model inclusive of key model building blocks
- Design a funding sheet with debt fi nancing
- Construct pro-forma financial statements
- Describe how financial model building blocks are linked to each other
- Manage assumptions in a financial model to eff ect results
- Design, set-up, and eff ectively label spreadsheet models for project financings