Dates: June 3-14, 2019
Location: Washington, DC
In this course titled, Intermediate Building and Analyzing Financial Models, the Institute for Public-Private Partnerships, A Tetra Tech Company (IP3) focuses exclusively on the basic techniques of building, interpreting, and analyzing a financial model using MS Excel®.
The development and analysis of financial models are an essential component of a PPP/Project Finance transaction. Financial models are necessary to evaluate the economics of a project, for negotiations among stakeholders and are a key component of the final documentation.
While the development and analysis of project finance models are oft en delegated to external financial advisors, it is important for certain selected off icials involved in a transaction not only to have an understanding of how financial models work, but also to have the capability to manipulate the model.
The goal of the course is twofold. The first goal is to provide participants with the tools to build a financial model and eff ectively closely manage third party financial advisors. The second goal is to provide a knowledge basis for the advanced financial modeling course, which is geared towards off icials that will be responsible for developing financial models that will form the basis for a financing.
- Describe the purpose and scope of project financial models (i.e. what a financial model is and why project stakeholders need it)
- Identify the financial model’s key outputs and calculate them
- Construct a semi-fl exible financial model inclusive of key model building blocks
- Design a funding sheet with debt financing
- Construct pro-forma financial statements
- Describe how financial model building blocks are linked to each other
- Manage assumptions in a financial model to eff ect results
- Design, set-up, and eff ectively label spreadsheet models for project financings