Dates: October 21-25, 2019
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contracts and legal agreements are at the foundation of any public-private partnership transaction. Once sound agreements are put in place, PPPs and concessions can achieve the objectives set forth by all parties in the transaction. Under poorly structured agreements, these partnerships have a higher likelihood of failing. With hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, it is imperative that time and money are well spent in designing good legal agreements and contracts.
In this course, participants will learn best practices in creating, negotiating, and implementing sound PPP and concession contracts. The course will also describe the key fi nancing agreements typically required by lenders in project fi nance transactions, and include discussions on risk and mitigation techniques, and how to handle contract disputes.
By successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Compare the structure and design of legal agreements for PPP infrastructure projects between public agencies and private investors
- Examine effective legal contracts within a regulatory framework
- Identify all relevant project risks: engineering, financial, economic, design/build, political, social
- Analyze and review legal documents including concession, off-take and other types of PPP contracts and key financing agreements
- Identify how to take advantage of international best practices to improve personal or organizational negotiating position vis-á-vis international investors and partners
- Develop effective negotiation strategies to reduce costs and delays in procurement and project development