Dates: May 13-24, 2019
Location: Washington, DC
Regulatory Impact Analysis (RIA) is a methodological approach to critically assessing the positive and negative components of proposed and existing regulations and non-regulatory alternatives. It is an important element of an evidence-based approach to policy making. The Organization for Economic and Co-operation Development (OECD) analysis shows that conducting RIA within an appropriate systematic framework can underpin the capacity of governments to ensure that regulations are eff icient and eff ective in a changing and complex world.
This course is designed to assist policy makers, regulators, and the business community in designing and implementing eff ective analyses. Through learning about the Standard Cost Model, the course will use case studies of actual RIAs, including contextual evidence and result scenarios. Participants also undertake action planning and will learn how to form the legal/policy framework for RIAs and conduct RIAs in their own countries and organizations.
- Explain RIA methodology and why it is used to evaluate the impact of law, rules, and regulations
- Identify EU, US, and other RIA models and guidelines
- Examine and diff erentiate cases of successful and failed implementation of RIA processes and procedures
- Develop checklists to conduct regulatory impact reviews and communication programming with businesses and other stakeholders
- Create a strategic action plan to implement RIAs in your organization